Friday, May 18, 2007

We're in 6th Grade

What's your favorite song? Someone asked me that and my mind reeled, of course. Belatedly (let's stick to rock for now):
How about, for starters:
I'll Come Running--Brian Eno
Blue Sky--Allman Brothers
Cemetery Gates--The Smiths
Center of Gravity--Yo La Tengo
What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding--Elvis Costello
Roadrunner--Jonathan Richman
What Goes On--The Velvet Underground
Headmaster Ritual--The Smiths
When Will You Come Home--Galaxie 500
Bobby McGee--Janis Joplin
Radio Free Europe--R.E.M.
Three Little Birds--Bob Marley
Rebel Jew--Silver Jews
Drunk by Noon--The Handsome Family
California Stars--Billy Bragg and Wilco
What's great about this question is it makes you remember how many fucking great songs there are and how there could never just be one or a hundred.

4 Comments:

Blogger Player Piano Party said...

Whenever I answer this question I feel 900 years old, but I'll say: "Tangled up in Blue" or "Gimme Shelter."

3:25 PM  
Blogger k said...

That's why you're so cool. Sympathy for the Devil might be on that list, too.
In college, I used to live behind a house where there was a bad band practicing Tangled up in Blue over and over, only getting 20-30 seconds into it each time before falling apart, every day, their only song, for months. So it took a bit of recovery time (about 15 years) for me to love that song again. Which I do.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah! Found you.

My favorite thing about this post is that I know and love every one of the songs on your list. Going to listen to Galaxie 500. Right. Now.

4:00 PM  
Blogger k said...

There was 3AM Galaxie 500 listening/bourbon drinking with a friend who DIDN'T KNOW THEM YET this weekend. I feel like Mother Theresa or something, making things better for humanity and all.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home